Apache Jackrabbit : Board Report September 2017
Report from the Apache Jackrabbit committee [Michael Dürig] (submitted 2017.09.13)
The Apache Jackrabbit™ content repository is a fully conforming
implementation of the Content Repository for Java™ Technology API
(JCR, specified in JSR 170 and 283). The Jackrabbit content
repository is stable, largely feature complete and actively being
Jackrabbit Oak is an effort to implement a scalable and performant
hierarchical content repository as a modern successor to the Apache
Jackrabbit content repository. It is targeted for use as the
foundation of modern world-class web sites and other demanding
content applications. In contrast to its predecessor, Oak does not
implement all optional features from the JSR specifications and it
is not a reference implementation.
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.
Apache Jackrabbit Oak receives most attention nowadays. All
maintenance branches and the unstable development branch are
continuously seeing moderate to high activity.
Apache Jackrabbit itself is mostly in maintenance mode with most of
the work going into bug fixing and tooling. New features are mainly
driven by dependencies from Oak.
Adobe donated the content-package-maven-plugin to us: a Maven plugin
that simplifies the creation of content package maven artifacts. The
content packages can later be used to install content into a JCR
repository using the Apache Jackrabbit FileVault packaging runtime.
Filevault was contributed 4 years ago, but we never had a tool to
create the packaged during runtime. Adobe's plugin is publicly
available, but only in binary form. This contribution brings the
source and development closer to the filevault core.
Retirement of Apache Jackrabbit 2.4: the Apache Jackrabbit PMC
decided that since the 2.4 branch of the project looks like not
being used any more to drop support and deprecate this version.
Previous branch, tags and releases will still be available for
future references, but will not show up on the download page
Users are encouraged to upgrade to the latest stable versions
(2.14 for Java 7, 2.12 for Java 6).
We held an Oak Hackathon August 21st to 25th in Basel -
Switzerland, which was free and open to everyone. See
There are various talks around Jackrabbit at this year's
AdaptTo conference in Berlin Sept. 25th to 27th.
## Health report:
The project is healthy with a continuous stream of traffic on all
mailing lists reflecting the activity of the respective component.
There is a wide range of topics being discussed on the dev and user
lists as well as on the various JIRA issues.
Commit activity is moderate to high mirroring the activity on the
## PMC changes:
- Currently 51 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added in the last 3 months. Prospects being
discussed on the private list.
- Last PMC addition was Robert Munteanu on Mon May 22 2017
## Committer base changes:
- Currently 52 committers.
- No new committers added in the last 3 months. Prospects being
discussed on the private list.
- Last committer addition was Robert Munteanu on Mon May 22 2017
- jackrabbit-2.10.6 was released on Mon Jul 03 2017
- jackrabbit-2.14.2 was released on Sat Jul 08 2017
- jackrabbit-2.15.4 was released on Fri Jun 23 2017
- jackrabbit-2.15.5 was released on Mon Jul 31 2017
- jackrabbit-2.15.6 was released on Thu Sep 07 2017
- jackrabbit-2.4.8 was released on Mon Jul 17 2017
- jackrabbit-2.6.9 was released on Mon Sep 04 2017
- vault-3.1.40 was released on Mon Jun 26 2017
- oak-1.0.39 was released on Tue Aug 15 2017
- oak-1.2.27 was released on Wed Aug 02 2017
- oak-1.4.17 was released on Mon Jul 17 2017
- oak-1.4.18 was released on Wed Aug 30 2017
- oak-1.6.2 was released on Mon Jun 12 2017
- oak-1.6.3 was released on Wed Jul 12 2017
- oak-1.6.4 was released on Wed Aug 16 2017
- oak-1.6.5 was released on Mon Sep 04 2017
- oak-1.7.2 was released on Mon Jun 19 2017
- oak-1.7.3 was released on Mon Jul 03 2017
- oak-1.7.4 was released on Wed Jul 19 2017
- oak-1.7.5 was released on Mon Jul 31 2017
- oak-1.7.6 was released on Tue Aug 22 2017
## JIRA activity:
- 364 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
- 325 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months