Apache Jackrabbit : Board Report June 2017
Report from the Apache Jackrabbit committee [Michael Dürig] (submitted 2017.06.14)
The Apache Jackrabbit™ content repository is a fully conforming
implementation of the Content Repository for Java™ Technology API
(JCR, specified in JSR 170 and 283). The Jackrabbit content
repository is stable, largely feature complete and actively being
Jackrabbit Oak is an effort to implement a scalable and performant
hierarchical content repository as a modern successor to the Apache
Jackrabbit content repository. It is targeted for use as the
foundation of modern world-class web sites and other demanding
content applications. In contrast to its predecessor, Oak does not
implement all optional features from the JSR specifications and it
is not a reference implementation.
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.
Apache Jackrabbit Oak receives most attention nowadays. All
maintenance branches and the unstable development branch are
continuously seeing moderate to high activity.
Apache Jackrabbit itself is mostly in maintenance mode with most of
the work going into bug fixing and tooling. New features are mainly
driven by dependencies from Oak.
The PMC resolved the impact of the recently published SHA-1 collisions
in the development branch. Back ports to maintenance branches are under
The last quarter saw a much needed and anticipated refactoring of
the Oak code base leading to an overall improved and simplified module
structure. While some of this work is still ongoing we expect it to
have a positive effect on the overall evolvability and maintainability
of the code base.
We will be holding an Oak Hackathon August 21st to 25th in Basel,
Attendance is open and free to everybody wanting to hack Oak.
## Health report:
The project is healthy with a continuous stream of traffic on all
mailing lists reflecting the activity of the respective component.
There is a wide range of topics being discussed on the dev and user
lists as well as on the various JIRA issues.
Commit activity is moderate to high mirroring the activity on the
## PMC changes:
- Currently 51 PMC members.
- Robert Munteanu was added to the PMC on Mon May 22 2017
## Committer base changes:
- Currently 51 committers.
- Robert Munteanu was added as a committer on Mon May 22 2017
- jackrabbit-2.12.7 was released on Mon Apr 03 2017
- jackrabbit-2.14.1 was released on Mon May 29 2017
- jackrabbit-2.15.2 was released on Mon May 01 2017
- jackrabbit-2.15.3 was released on Fri Jun 09 2017
- oak-1.0.38 was released on Tue Mar 28 2017
- oak-1.2.25 was released on Tue Apr 11 2017
- oak-1.2.26 was released on Mon Jun 05 2017
- oak-1.4.15 was released on Mon Apr 03 2017
- oak-1.4.16 was released on Mon Jun 05 2017
- oak-1.6.2 was released on Mon Jun 12 2017
- oak-1.7.0 was released on Wed May 24 2017
- oak-1.7.1 was released on Tue Jun 06 2017
- vault-3.1.38 was released on Mon Mar 27 2017
## JIRA activity:
- 451 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
- 397 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months