Apache Jackrabbit : Board Report September 2016
Report from the Apache Jackrabbit committee [Michael Dürig] (Submitted September 14th 2016)
The Apache Jackrabbit™ content repository is a fully conforming
implementation of the Content Repository for Java™ Technology API
(JCR, specified in JSR 170 and 283). The Jackrabbit content
repository is stable, largely feature complete and actively being
Jackrabbit Oak is an effort to implement a scalable and performant
hierarchical content repository as a modern successor to the Apache
Jackrabbit content repository. It is targeted for use as the
foundation of modern world-class web sites and other demanding
content applications. In contrast to its predecessor, Oak does not
implement all optional features from the JSR specifications and it
is not a reference implementation.
We received the following question from the board in response to
our last report:
"is Oak sufficiently different to warrant its own new project?
Remember, we discourage umbrella projects. If Oak is simply a
"product" then as gs states please say so and identify it."
Oak is well within the scope of the Jackrabbit PMC. Technically it
strives for fresh solutions to the initial requirements taking into
account new challenges from the technology landscape. To that
respect it can be seen as an evolution of the initial content
repository. At some point we expect Oak to replace the previous
implementation. The exact process is yet to be defined.
The same pattern is also observed in the community: while most
activity is currently on Oak, it is largely the same set of people
also taking care of the Jackrabbit content repository. There is
currently no clear sub-community with diverging activities or
interests that would warrant splitting the project.
Apache Jackrabbit Oak receives most attention nowadays. All
maintenance branches and the unstable development branch are
continuously seeing moderate to high activity.
Apache Jackrabbit itself is mostly in maintenance mode with most of
the work going into bug fixing and tooling. New features are mainly
driven by dependencies from Oak.
## Health report:
The project is healthy with a continuous stream of traffic
on all mailing lists reflecting the activity of the respective
component / sub-project.
Commit activity is moderate to high as there is substantial new
work being done in certain areas.
The oak-dev list is seeing a broad variety of topics being
## PMC changes:
- Currently 49 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
- Last PMC addition was Tomek Rękawek on Mon Mar 21 2016
## Committer base changes:
- Currently 49 committers.
- No new committers added in the last 3 months
- Last committer addition was Tomasz Rekawek at Mon Mar 21 2016
- oak-1.0.32 was released on Mon Jul 11 2016
- oak-1.0.33 was released on Mon Aug 22 2016
- oak-1.2.16 was released on Mon Jun 13 2016
- oak-1.2.17 was released on Mon Jul 11 2016
- oak-1.2.18 was released on Wed Aug 10 2016
- oak-1.4.4 was released on Mon Jun 27 2016
- oak-1.4.5 was released on Wed Jul 13 2016
- oak-1.4.6 was released on Tue Aug 09 2016
- oak-1.5.4 was released on Wed Jun 22 2016
- oak-1.5.5 was released on Wed Jul 06 2016
- oak-1.5.6 was released on Thu Jul 21 2016
- oak-1.5.7 was released on Mon Aug 01 2016
- oak-1.5.8 was released on Mon Aug 15 2016
- oak-1.5.9 was released on Tue Aug 30 2016
- oak-Segment Tar 0.0.10 was released on Fri Aug 26 2016
- oak-Segment Tar 0.0.2 was released on Wed Jun 22 2016
- oak-Segment Tar 0.0.4 was released on Thu Jul 14 2016
- oak-Segment Tar 0.0.6 was released on Fri Jul 22 2016
- oak-Segment Tar 0.0.8 was released on Tue Aug 02 2016
- jackrabbit-2.10.4 was released on Fri Sep 09 2016
- jackrabbit-2.12.2 was released on Thu Jun 23 2016
- jackrabbit-2.12.3 was released on Tue Aug 16 2016
- jackrabbit-2.12.4 was released on Mon Sep 05 2016
- jackrabbit-2.13.0 was released on Sun Jul 10 2016
- jackrabbit-2.13.1 was released on Fri Jul 15 2016
- jackrabbit-2.13.2 was released on Thu Aug 25 2016
- jackrabbit-2.13.3 was released on Mon Sep 12 2016
- jackrabbit-2.8.2 was released on Fri Jul 15 2016
- vault-3.1.28 was released on Mon Aug 22 2016
## JIRA activity:
- 364 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
- 325 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months